Skip to main content

PMBAR. Nuff said.

Pisgah Mountain Bike Adventure Race 2010.
I've finished last in this race and now I've finished 8th. Wide spread. So is Pisgah. So is the difference in my mind, body and soul compared to how it was when i arrived in Hendersonville in 2004. I knew it would be hard here, but not to the extent it is. Now i know why mountain people often emanate a quiet presence...with hard skin and a squint in their eyes. They know what hard living is but the beauty of the mountains and all the mountains give is worth the price we pay. That price is acknowledged by the silence. Yes it's hard here. We overcome. We realize lack and shed layers of glitter but end up with all we need, sometimes more.

Hard. Ever seen the winners? I have maybe once or twice. Spoke to a winner before. He didn't talk much and his skin looked hard, clothes worn and he carried an air of unspoken mountain confidence...the quiet kind that makes some people uncomfortable. Yeah, you know he could crank out 50 miles or 100 miles of Pisgah single track quicker than most people can do a road century with a tail wind but he doesn't speak of it, it's just known. Tough things are just things, no ranking of how tough or how easy, they just become things. Accepted tasks. Daily occurrences. Schtuff you just have to do. Like go to the bathroom or eat. Things you just do.

Just cross Turkey Pen. Just sprint up Black. Push up Pilot or ride up Laurel. Some things are expensive in dollars. Crossing Turkey Pen or sprinting up Black costs you soul points...challenges of inner strength. You may have the muscles and the lungs and a capable bike but do you have those items and the mental power to go forward one more step? Repeat? Then repeat again?

If you saw me after the race and my skin was hard, and my eyes squinted and i was mostly silent, don't mistake it for mountain confidence. I was just slap stupid worn out!

I'm working on it though. How cool would a first and a last in the same race be?
Lord willing, there will always be a PMBAR.


congrats to all who participated, volunteered and suffered.

thank you to Wes for letting me test the "demo" for one more weekend...
Props to Sycamore Cycles!!!!!! The best bike shop in the area!
Thanks to Yuri for not letting me nap all day on the side of Souf Mills.
Thanks to woman, well for womanly womaness.
Thanks to Clay for throwing out a huge challenge at the end of a long day. and so on and so on and so on.............

Comments

ExtrmTao said…
I didn't think anyone could look that tired and still be awake, nice work Cook!!
Anonymous said…
'keep on peddlin' bud
Anonymous said…
Jewelry is women's best friend. It is surely a [B][URL=http://www.tiffanysfree.com]tiffany pendants[/URL][/B] long lasting gift to your loved ones and enhances ones beauty [U]authentic tiffany jewelry monthly promotion[/U] with its attention getting charm. So, while buying such beautiful jewelry for [B]tiffany jewelry store[/B] your precious ones, you need to make [B]tiffany jewelry boxes[/B] sure that you get them from trust worthy places. Pandora bracelets, Links of London, Tiffany jewelry [U][B]replica tiffany jewelry[/U][/B] offer you top edge designs and high quality jewelry at affordable prices. They are known for their [U][B]cheap tiffany and co jewelry[/U][/B] elegant yet bright designs that could match any occasion. Jewelry these brands offer has a specific [B][URL=http://www.etiffanystore.com]tiffany bracelets[/URL][/B] meaning that expresses many feelings.

Silver bangles and bracelets of Tiffany jewelry [B][URL=http://www.etiffanystore.com]tiffany charms[/URL][/B] are known for their delicate knots and symbols which express unity and harmony. Their heart shaped lockets which express love make [U][B]authentic tiffany jewelry[/U][/B] their partner feels that they are precious [B]best website to buy discounted tiffany jewelry[/B] and wonderful.

These jewelries are quite famous [B]cheap tiffany and co jewelry[/B] among couples who say that these unique and simple [U]tiffany company jewelry[/U] designs of Tiffany jewelry are long-lasting and incomparable. Some [U][B]buyers of tiffany jewelry sets[/U][/B] designs in Tiffany's jewelry date back to decades ago, which make them [B][URL=http://www.tiffanysfree.com]tiffany charms[/URL][/B] a perfect gift as a heirloom, so that it could be passed from one generation to another, this explains the timeless beauty [U]tiffany jewelry boxes[/U] of the jewelry and still be in fashion even after many generations


Links of London is yet another designer [U][B]tiffany jewelry store[/U][/B] jewelry store that offers wide variety of jewelry which [B]tiffany company jewelry[/B] makes every one a proud owner, who ever buy it. These jewelries are outstanding [U][B]fake tiffany jewelry[/U][/B] jewelry store in London. There are known for its craftsmanship, each [B]cheap tiffany and co jewelry[/B] and every piece of jewelry is hand made in its workshops situated at [B]3tiffany & co jewellery[/B] London. Pendants, necklaces, ear rings studded with immaculate diamonds are completely mesmerizing. Get your self [U]tiffany jewelry boxes[/U] a best buy in any of these brands, sure you [U]replica tiffany jewelry[/U] well not regret.

Popular posts from this blog

Alley oop oop. Oop. Oop. Oop!

July 3, 2011 - First Annual (hopefuly) Brevard, NC Alley Cat Race. What a blast! Thirty some odd people (i use odd loosely) including kids, adults, adults who are still kids and in-betweens. This was my first participation in an Alley Cat Race. Typical alley cat format is basically no format at all. This race consisted of 10 or so check points, each worth a certain amount of points based upon their distance from the starting point. Also in the mix were a number of local landmarks, people and combinations of both that were each worth an additional 3 points each. Who ever has the most points and returns to the designated finishing area by the cut-off time wins. My buddy and official H8R, aka ZB, decided he just wanted to follow me for the race since he doesn't know Brevard all that well. Together we sped through Brevard and its outskirts, collected pictures, signed sign in sheets, danced, busted some rhymes, begged, consumed liquid refreshment, obeyed all and any traffic laws, improv

A day in PA

“Where’s this David Cook guy?” ripped me out of a semi relaxed state of welcomed non-stimulus after 101 miles of rushing thoughts, focus, attentiveness and sweat. I was sitting on the grass, cross legged, eyes closed, with my back against the blow up Kenda banner at the race finish. Apparently another Clydesdale racer didn’t like seeing his name in second place on the results page because he was questioning the race director for David Cook and a scale. Much to this fellows surprise, “he’s right here” directed at him from my mouth with the same tone he addressed the race director, seemed to stop him in his tracks. I guess he heard me, but assumed someone would present them self to him. I didn’t. I knew what he wanted…my digits on a scale. The race director, went for the scale with said questioning racer in tow. The racer came back to where he heard me announce my presence from the comfort of my make shift Kenda pillow and was looking around. I looked up at him and said “I’

Mongolia Bike Challenge 2017 - A brief history of time

Typical view from my stay in Mongolia The Mongolia Bike Challenge 2017 Tired, heavy eyed, suddenly sitting in my office chair but my brain and body are traveling at Boeing 777 speed over the Pacific with the hum of jet engines in an unconscious area of my mind. I sit and try to get ready for the upcoming work week but the afterglow of a twenty day vacation as far away from home as possible is flashing a slow motion slide show of landscapes and feelings experienced while gone.   Prior to arriving in Mongolia I had little knowledge of the terrain.   I only knew what I found online and what one local professional racer was willing to share (not much at all). I composed this post to answer questions for those who are interested in the Mongolia Bike Challenge so they feel more informed than I did. Tamir Wellness Ger Camp I've wanted to visit Mongolia  since seeing pictures of it in a geography class in high school. Green is all i remember and green is what I got. I