Skip to main content

scooters, vacation, fall

If you're not scared yet, you should be now!








Here I sit, still retarded, tried to type but only sharted. Well, not really. I've been away for a while...on purpose. Sometimes it's good to step away from the things that turn your screw, crank your shaft, butter your muffin, even if it's just for a few days. My last ride worthy of blogging (less a few that are unmentionable) was a jaunt in the woods with my pal ZB.

I've been crying "i want to go to FATS", "let's go ride FATS" since early summer when i first heard how wonderful FATS is. Finally someone in my posse stepped up and said "let's go" (yeah, I have a posse). ZB and I hopped in the car cause we was on a quest--50 miles of FATS, just a little test. Zoomin to James Brown Town at the speed of sound. Directtions were simple: 26 south twards James Brown Town, pass Gypsy town, go Right and the trail head is on the Left. Seemed simple enough until we started seeing weird sites.

Often i felt like ZB and I had actually entered the twilight zone. I swear I saw a few wolf boys and a hot nurse with a pig head, maybe even two. We stopped at a store that was the muse for the writing of "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre". Poltergeist TV on the wall, truck parts, spare tires, 1 old cash register, campers in the front parking lot, dust on all the sugar filled fat kid treats and i swear i heard the buzz of a bug zapper in the distance. All this and a sober ZB??? WTF??? I would have felt safer allowing Woody cart me in the Bobcat across Triple Falls at Dupont. Bla bla bla.

We continued southbound and rolled into a town called Saluda. Now, don't confuse the South Cacka Saluda with the North Cacka Saluda. The SC Saluda makes the NC Saluda's Coon Dog Day Festival look like a f*c!&ng Mensa convention. Anyway, more on SC Saluda later.

ZB and I rode two complete loops totalling 50.25 miles. Yay. I was feeling slow due to a long year on the bike. I just wanted to stop and lay in the sun. ZB was in typical form and meeting every challenge I presented. FATS was worth the drive. We left the Mother Pisgah for a rolling terrain of only 25 miles? Yeah, it rocked. Hats off to Todd the trail master for laying these suckers out. We went counter clockwise the first loop and then hit it reversed the 2nd time. FATS was a blast. There were dips, berms, quiet pine forests, short hills, little grunter hills, fun schwoopy shit and fast blasts through twisty pines and hardewoods. We were having so much fun, i think i only took 7 or 8 pictures. Here they are:



It's all fun & games.



Protectors of the trail. You must give penance to these folks or be doomed.


Well, the ride photos summed it up. Excellent ride, cool trails, constant peddling instead of constant climbing.


We finished up our ride, packed the car, jawed with a couple locals who were amazed that we'd ditch Pisgah for FATS and headed back up the grade, to SC Saluda that is. I, as always needed some food, especially since my companion was wearing his sobriety hat (freak). As we approached Saluda, I spotted what i thought was a melon stand but turned out to be only apples and oranges and some pee cans. I talked ZB into posing with the lady with the melons, for sale that is. I can't post my picture with her, it might jeoparrdise my future seat in the senate.


We ate an apple or two and continued on to Saluda where the main road was closed for a Christmas parade so we had to navigate on the side streets of town, where we found the next photo opp.


I pray. I'm spiritual and i'm not baptist. I don't judge those of other religions, i don't even judge bapptists but if your just fricking ignorant I consider you fair game. I'll end this post with the following photo:


I swear it's real.
Peace to you all and I hope to see you all on the trails real soon.
DJC

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alley oop oop. Oop. Oop. Oop!

July 3, 2011 - First Annual (hopefuly) Brevard, NC Alley Cat Race. What a blast! Thirty some odd people (i use odd loosely) including kids, adults, adults who are still kids and in-betweens. This was my first participation in an Alley Cat Race. Typical alley cat format is basically no format at all. This race consisted of 10 or so check points, each worth a certain amount of points based upon their distance from the starting point. Also in the mix were a number of local landmarks, people and combinations of both that were each worth an additional 3 points each. Who ever has the most points and returns to the designated finishing area by the cut-off time wins. My buddy and official H8R, aka ZB, decided he just wanted to follow me for the race since he doesn't know Brevard all that well. Together we sped through Brevard and its outskirts, collected pictures, signed sign in sheets, danced, busted some rhymes, begged, consumed liquid refreshment, obeyed all and any traffic laws, improv

A day in PA

“Where’s this David Cook guy?” ripped me out of a semi relaxed state of welcomed non-stimulus after 101 miles of rushing thoughts, focus, attentiveness and sweat. I was sitting on the grass, cross legged, eyes closed, with my back against the blow up Kenda banner at the race finish. Apparently another Clydesdale racer didn’t like seeing his name in second place on the results page because he was questioning the race director for David Cook and a scale. Much to this fellows surprise, “he’s right here” directed at him from my mouth with the same tone he addressed the race director, seemed to stop him in his tracks. I guess he heard me, but assumed someone would present them self to him. I didn’t. I knew what he wanted…my digits on a scale. The race director, went for the scale with said questioning racer in tow. The racer came back to where he heard me announce my presence from the comfort of my make shift Kenda pillow and was looking around. I looked up at him and said “I’

Mongolia Bike Challenge 2017 - A brief history of time

Typical view from my stay in Mongolia The Mongolia Bike Challenge 2017 Tired, heavy eyed, suddenly sitting in my office chair but my brain and body are traveling at Boeing 777 speed over the Pacific with the hum of jet engines in an unconscious area of my mind. I sit and try to get ready for the upcoming work week but the afterglow of a twenty day vacation as far away from home as possible is flashing a slow motion slide show of landscapes and feelings experienced while gone.   Prior to arriving in Mongolia I had little knowledge of the terrain.   I only knew what I found online and what one local professional racer was willing to share (not much at all). I composed this post to answer questions for those who are interested in the Mongolia Bike Challenge so they feel more informed than I did. Tamir Wellness Ger Camp I've wanted to visit Mongolia  since seeing pictures of it in a geography class in high school. Green is all i remember and green is what I got. I