Skip to main content

Trans-Sylvania Epic 2014, Day 1 review

It's been a long time. I shouldn't have left you. As Eric B would say. 2014 and here i sit broken hearted. Tried to .......woops wrong saying.

I find myself at the 2014 Trans-Sylvania Epic for the third time. It's all new and improved but i am two years older. Some things changed. Some didn't. I still like to race. I still like to ride, even though I tried to walk away from it for a bit. Racing gets in your blood like a bad virus you don't want. There have been times that i didn't want it, but around it comes and here i am in the middle of Pennsylvania, in a camper, with my wife, my tired legs, a belly full of food and nervous energy about the next 6 days. The new to me change is this thing called Enduro. It's like a race within a race in which your down hill segments are timed and the rider with the lowest overall time is crowned the Enduro champion. I'm older and don't want to keep up with the fast kids so much but i do have a slight fascination with the down hill. I'm not claiming to be the best downhiller but i will claim that i can hold my own.
As is typical format for this 7 day adventure, today was a 15ish mile time trial but it had 1 Enduro segment. Strategy was a big discussion among the competitors because in order to have your Enduro time tracked you have to stop and "clock in" at the top of the downhill and then stop and "clock out" at the end of the Enduro segment. A quick stop in the woods may seem like no big deal however when you are racing against 50 other guys who finish a 15 mile race with a time range of 10 minutes from first place to last place those seconds you took to stop eventually add up over 7 days of racing. The super fit super fast guys will most likely not stop to 'clock in/clock out" so that removes about 20% of the pack. The guys slower than me (not too many) will be near the back of the pack and i will come in around the middle (just like results of my lack of winter training). So with some of the people eliminated as my competition, i decided to try my best on the Enduro. The actual "Enduro" section of the trail was familiar from the prior 2 times i have participated in this race with one difference, it was in the opposite direction of what i was used to. I did remember this section of the course because it is a beautiful section of the forest that is covered in ferns. All you can see is shoulders and heads bobbing above the ferns. It is a fine specimen of Central Pennsylvania forest. Well, i did also remember that the uphill was significant and that in turn would make the downhill of the reversed course fabulous. The Enduro section was probably at about mile 12 so by the time it arrived, i was eager to go down hill instead of climbing. There were beautiful rocks to launch off of, chitter chatter rocks moving under my tires as i dropped the trail and green ferns everywhere. It was almost like Star Wars and the Ewoks flying through that crazy green lush Redwood looking forest. Anyway, it was a welcome respite to the difficult grind of the uphill single track and it put a big smile on my face.

I finished the course. Cleaned up and returned to the race venue for dinner and the evening awards. Results were posted but i didn't jump up to check my placing. I felt like i had a solid run but the competition here is tough so i somewhat discounted being near the top. Finally the group around the results list thinned and i checked my times. Mid pack in the 40+ class but 4th in the overall men's Enduro! I am psyched! One spot off the podium and just three people ahead of me Time to step it up with my hard tail 29'er and ride like i know how. It's on!

http://outdoorexperience.org/tse/



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alley oop oop. Oop. Oop. Oop!

July 3, 2011 - First Annual (hopefuly) Brevard, NC Alley Cat Race. What a blast! Thirty some odd people (i use odd loosely) including kids, adults, adults who are still kids and in-betweens. This was my first participation in an Alley Cat Race. Typical alley cat format is basically no format at all. This race consisted of 10 or so check points, each worth a certain amount of points based upon their distance from the starting point. Also in the mix were a number of local landmarks, people and combinations of both that were each worth an additional 3 points each. Who ever has the most points and returns to the designated finishing area by the cut-off time wins. My buddy and official H8R, aka ZB, decided he just wanted to follow me for the race since he doesn't know Brevard all that well. Together we sped through Brevard and its outskirts, collected pictures, signed sign in sheets, danced, busted some rhymes, begged, consumed liquid refreshment, obeyed all and any traffic laws, improv

Mongolia Bike Challenge 2017 - A brief history of time

Typical view from my stay in Mongolia The Mongolia Bike Challenge 2017 Tired, heavy eyed, suddenly sitting in my office chair but my brain and body are traveling at Boeing 777 speed over the Pacific with the hum of jet engines in an unconscious area of my mind. I sit and try to get ready for the upcoming work week but the afterglow of a twenty day vacation as far away from home as possible is flashing a slow motion slide show of landscapes and feelings experienced while gone.   Prior to arriving in Mongolia I had little knowledge of the terrain.   I only knew what I found online and what one local professional racer was willing to share (not much at all). I composed this post to answer questions for those who are interested in the Mongolia Bike Challenge so they feel more informed than I did. Tamir Wellness Ger Camp I've wanted to visit Mongolia  since seeing pictures of it in a geography class in high school. Green is all i remember and green is what I got. I

A day in PA

“Where’s this David Cook guy?” ripped me out of a semi relaxed state of welcomed non-stimulus after 101 miles of rushing thoughts, focus, attentiveness and sweat. I was sitting on the grass, cross legged, eyes closed, with my back against the blow up Kenda banner at the race finish. Apparently another Clydesdale racer didn’t like seeing his name in second place on the results page because he was questioning the race director for David Cook and a scale. Much to this fellows surprise, “he’s right here” directed at him from my mouth with the same tone he addressed the race director, seemed to stop him in his tracks. I guess he heard me, but assumed someone would present them self to him. I didn’t. I knew what he wanted…my digits on a scale. The race director, went for the scale with said questioning racer in tow. The racer came back to where he heard me announce my presence from the comfort of my make shift Kenda pillow and was looking around. I looked up at him and said “I’